Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A Plan for the Democratic Party

The Yat Pundit pointed the way to the Democrat Party's plan, entitled "A New Direction for America". It might be a little short, but it's definitely a start.

I rarely post about politics in my personal blog, but I mentioned there that I'd support the democrats if they ran a Feingold/Obama ticket in 2008. A very conservative friend responded to my entry, saying, "If the Dems run that ticket, I'll get a gun. I loathe both of those people. Thankfully, they're so far off the deep-end, that they would easily lose."

Many have argued that the democrats will lose a substantial part of their constituency if they pick candidates that are too liberal. However, I'm not entirely sure that the loss will be as great as some individuals predict. Sure, they might lose a few swing votes if they carry a more liberal agenda, but I also suspect that a swing to the left might help them to pick up a few voters that might have otherwise voted for a third-party candidate.

Thoughts?

2 Comments:

Blogger Schroeder said...

Why, I wonder, do conservatives so loath a liberal agenda? Maybe it's because pseudo-liberals (i.e., Democrats in liberal clothing) have for so long been apologizing for having a liberal agenda that they haven't actually aggressively defended the agenda. There's less that divides liberals and conservatives in the post-Bush, Jr. years, I think, and an aggressive, unapologetic candidate like Feingold could succeed (and besides, it's time for a president from Wisconsin -- says this former cheesehead).

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 7:04:00 AM  
Blogger T. said...

Schroeder, good point. I do think that some democrats are afraid of being "too liberal" because the label "liberal" has been so voraciously attacked by their republican counterparts. However, I feel as though if they more aggressively defended the liberal agenda, they would be able to polish up the "liberal" label and win a few votes that way, too.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 6:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home