Sunday, June 25, 2006

A Question About a Landrieu

I have a question that I was hoping that you "older folks" could help a young'un like me answer.

I come from a deeply conservative family; even my mother, who--in her younger years--was a hardcore democrat has slowly taken the walk towards the right side of the political spectrum. So many of my family members supported Nagin during the election, and cited Mitch Landrieu's father as the reason why they wouldn't elect his son into office. I wasn't even alive when Moon Landrieu was the mayor, so I know little about him outside of his pro-Civil Rights stance. Can someone please explain to me why so many of my conservative family members show so much disdain for Moon Landrieu?

An uncle and I got into a furious argument over the demolition of the Coliseum Baptist Church earlier today. Though I am an english major, I've studied both history and anthropology extensively over the past few years, and I thoroughly believe that it is important for people to work together to preserve as much of history as possible for future generations. My uncle, however, believes differently. He believes that a person has a right to do whatever they want with their property--regardless of its historical value. No one should impose their own guidelines--historical or not--on to someone else's property. When I pointed out that there were building codes in certain areas that people were forced to follow he claimed that they should be followed because they were implemented to preserve the property value in the area. I pointed out that historical guidelines were in place to preserve something even more important than property value--history.

Still, he was not convinced.

Sometimes, there's nothing worse than being the one liberal in a conservative family.

Edit [10:58 A.M.]: Answers found here and here.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rail Claimore said...

Or being a closet libertarian in a family of authoritarians.

Monday, June 26, 2006 4:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Adrastos said...

Moon was the Mayor who integrated City Hall. Most problems with him can be traced to this. Scroll back and read some of the discussions on Oyster's blog in the two weeks before the run off; there were several epic discussions of why whote conservatives hate Moon and his whole family. It *is* odd Mary's voting record, isn't that much different than John Breaux's.a

Monday, June 26, 2006 8:49:00 AM  
Blogger T. said...

Adrastos, I found the discussions, but I found no mention of public housing, which my uncle brought up time and time again.

Any chance you know about Moon's part in public housing?

Monday, June 26, 2006 11:21:00 AM  
Blogger oyster said...

Most if not all of the public housing projects ("the bricks") in New Orleans were built between 1937-1965, so I don't know how that's Moon's fault.

Monday, June 26, 2006 12:26:00 PM  
Blogger Schroeder said...

I'm glad you found oysters posts on the topic -- he really has the topic covered pretty well.

Historic value, especially in a town like New Orleans, translates directly into property values. That the Garden District as a whole has been preserved with very few zoning variances to allow, for example, a Popeyes chicken on Prytania, has preserved the value of everyone's property there.

Ripping down a church of historic value in order to allow the owner to, allegedly, build a multi-story condo building, diminishes other peoples' property value.

Bottom line -- owners can do what they want with their property as long as it's sanctioned by the community. The community, and the laws of the community, defend private property, but the tradeoff is that the community has the right to regulate its use. Furthermore, the point at which one person's activities on his private property harms another person is the limit to what should be allowed on private property (but I ramble). If private owners want to do away with community regulation of property, absolute anarchy would ensue -- and that's what the private property advocates fail to see. Those who shirk their responsibilities to the community should be punished.

Monday, June 26, 2006 10:03:00 PM  
Anonymous dangerblond said...

"Public Housing" is a new one on me. I posted alot about this subject, too, and I offered a reward for dirt on the Landrieus that had a shred of evidence. No takers. After the election, I had someone here at my house who absolutely INSISTED that Moon Landrieu made money illegally when New Orleans East was developed. This was something else I hadn't heard, but I have always heard that the Bass family from Texas developed New Orleans East. So, I have looked for dirt everywhere, but no one can produce anything. With eight kids and no one indicted, that must be some kind of record for Louisiana.

Monday, June 26, 2006 10:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home