Thursday, June 08, 2006

Writing David Vitter on Gay Marriage

I think it's pretty clear that I'm against the Marriage Protection Act. I believe that homosexual or heterosexual, all people deserve the same right to marry the person that they love. After taking the wee hours of my Monday morning to write an eloquent e-mail expressing my views before the act hit the senate floor, I got this reply earlier today:

Dear Ms. T,

Thank you for contacting me in support of a Federal Marriage Amendment. I share your concern on this issue, and I agree with you 100 percent.

You may be pleased to know that I am an original cosponsor of a Senate resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relating to marriage. The amendment prohibits the Constitution or any state constitution from being construed to require that marital status or its legal incidents be conferred upon any union other than that of a man and a woman.

During my tenure in the U.S. House of Representatives I cosponsored and voted for a proposed constitutional amendment to define marriage as a union between a man and woman. Sadly the bill did not get the two-thirds votes needed for passage. I am now working in the Senate to protect the institution of marriage. Like you I feel this is essential to the future of our country, and I recognize the importance marriage plays in the lives of our children.

I believe marriage to be a union between a man and a woman. This definition should be held not to enforce discriminatory acts, but to uphold the sanctity of marriage. The Federal Marriage Amendment removes the debate regarding the definition of marriage from the hands of the courts and returns this decision to the American people, where it belongs. In fact, no state legislature and no popular referendum has passed in any state allowing any other definition of marriage except as between a man and a woman. In addition over 38 states have passed legislation protecting traditional marriage. In Louisiana , our statewide referendum passed with nearly 80 percent of the vote.

Thank you again for contacting me in support of traditional families and in defense of marriage. Rest assured I will continue to fight to protect our shared Louisiana values. Once again, thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts on this issue. Please feel free to contact me in the future about issues important to you and your family.

Sincerely,
Senator David Vitter
United States Senator

P.S. Please visit my webiste to sign up for E-Updates and receive regular email updates from me on the issues important to Louisiana families.

Thanks, David. Glad to know you care about your constituents enough to have your aides actually read their e-mails. It seems as though Loki has gotten the same reply.

And talk about impeccable timing. I also recieved a postcard from David Vitter in the mail just today:

Dear Friend,

Please join me at my Hurricane Preparedness Forum to discuss preparations for this year's hurricane season. We'll have representatives of all relevant agencies on hand to discuss evacuation, communication, levee repairs and improvements, and more.

I really look forward to hearing your views on these and other key issues for Louisiana Families.

David

Jefferson Parish Eastbank Regional Library
Meeting Rooms A and B
4747 West Napoleon Ave.
Metairie

Monday, June 19
7:00 P.M.

Will anyone else be going?

2 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

This is nutty! First I got the correct email (he regrets my opposition) and then I got the WRONG email (he thanks me for my support)! It was the same one you got! This does not instill confidence that our voice is being heard up there.

Peace,

Tim

Thursday, June 08, 2006 11:21:00 PM  
Blogger Loki said...

I think that we should organize a major NOLA Blogger contingent to go as a group. Especially those of us who received the "reply," to our letters of concern.

Friday, June 09, 2006 8:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home